Ingredients for Pita Bread Recipe
o Refined flour 1 cup
o Whole wheat flour 1 cup
o Salt 1 teaspoon
o Active dry yeast 1 tablespoon
o Sugar 1 teaspoon
- Preheat the oven at 230°C.
- Sieve refined flour, whole-wheat flour and salt together. In a small bowl take yeast and sugar, pour four tablespoons lukewarm water over it, sprinkle a little flour, cover and keep aside.
- Keep some flour aside for dusting and take the rest of the flour in a bowl, make a well in the center of the flour.
- Pour in the yeast mixture and mix in a little flour from the sides of the well. Make a soft dough using the remaining water kneading really well. Leave the dough to rise for one hour.
- Knead the dough again very lightly and divide it into eight equal portions. Shape them into balls and leave aside for ten to fifteen minutes, covered with a damp cloth.
- Roll out the pieces into ovals (five by eight inches) and again keep them aside for twenty minutes covered with a damp cloth.
- It can be made in two shapes. Grease and flour baking sheets. Place them in the oven for five minutes. Arrange the Pita breads on them and bake for fifteen minutes. In this time they will start turning brown.
- Cool them on wire racks and store. Serve with any stuffing