BESAN OATS CHEELA
This besan oats chilla is a quick and easy chilla variety made with oats, gram flour, spices-herbs.
(1 CUP = 250 ML)
- ½ cup quick-cooking oats or 70 grams quick-cooking oats
- ½ cup besan (gram flour) or 50 grams besan
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion or 30 grams onions or 1 small onion
- ¼ cup finely chopped tomatoes or 50 grams tomatoes or 1 small tomato
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds or carom seeds (ajwain)
- ½ inch ginger – chopped
- 1 green chili – chopped
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
- ¼ teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¾ cup water or add as required
- salt as required
- oil as required
Making oats chilla batter
- take ½ cup quick-cooking oats in a mixer or grinder and grind to a fine powder.
- take the ground oats flour in a mixing bowl. add 1/2 cup besan.
- now add everything except for oil and water.
- pour about 2/3 to 3/4 cup water.
- with a wired whisk begin to mix everything. if the batter looks thick, then add 1 to 3 tbsp more water. i overall added 3/4 cup water. depending on the quality and texture of besan and oats, addition of water will be more or less.
- whisk to a smooth flowing consistency in the batter without any lumps. break lumps if any while mixing batter.
Making oats chilla
- heat a tawa or a flat pan on a low flame. you can use an iron tawa or a non-stick pan.
- if using an iron griddle or tawa, then spread a bit of oil on the tawa. let the pan become medium hot. then take a ladle full of the batter and pour on the pan.
- gently with the back of the ladle, begin to spread the batter. spread lightly and gently so that the cheela does not break.
- on a low to medium flame cook the oats cheela till the top begins to look cooked.
- then drizzle ½ to 1 tsp oil on the chilla at the edges and all around. with a spoon spread the oil all over. skip oil if you want to prepare oil free oats chillas.
- continue to cook till the base gets light golden. then flip.
- now cook the other side of oats cheela.
- cook this side till you see golden spots on the oats besan cheela.
- fold and serve hot or warm. can also be packed in tiffin box.
- serve oats cheelas plain or with any chutney of your choice or with tomato sauce.
tips for making oats cheela recipe:
- for small kids, skip the green chilies and red chili powder.
- recipe can be doubled or tripled.
- for rolled oats, grind in the same way. after making the batter, keep covered for 30 minutes.