- 100 gm. yellow moong dal (dhuli moong dal) (or as prescribed in the diet plan)
- 1 teaspoon oil/ghee for frying cheelas
- 1 small onion chopped finely (pyaz)
- 2 green Chillies chopped finely (hari mirch)
- ½ inch ginger chopped finely (adrak)
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder (jeera powder)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped finely (hara dhaniya)
- 2 tbsp green chutney(optional)
- salt as required
- Firstly, soak the moong lentils in enough water covering them over-night or for 4-5 hrs.
- Discard the water, grind them with very little water until smooth and soft mixture is formed.
- The batter has to be nor too thick nor too thin it should be of medium consistency. So, add water accordingly. Allow the mixture to rest for 15-20 mins.
- Add green chili, ginger, onion, coriander leaves if using, cumin powder, turmeric and salt. Combine all nicely.
- Heat a nonstick pan. Once it’s warm pour a scoop of batter towards the center and then spreading towards the exterior giving a round or oval shape. You could use a spatula or a small metal bowl to give a thin shape to your cheelas. It’s up to you to make your cheelas thick or thin. If you make thick it wouldn’t be crisp so make accordingly. Drizzle some oil towards the edges and fry them until crisp and golden brown from both sides. Spread some green chutney over one side of the dosa.
- Serve your moong dal cheelas warm with green chutney.